Sunday, May 21, 2006

May Journal Quilt

It's seems no matter what order I load my photos in, they come out different, very random. 'Sigh'. Oh well, here it is, May. The subtle green mossy looking stuff dangling below the sun, is some of my thread play. It actually says MAY, but is somewhat hidden (there I go with the hidden words again). Shisha mirrors on the 4 corners. The unusual tile-like stuff is actually soft squishy plastic , that is used for padding inside a cast(for a broken bone),I colored it with my fabric markers.
The black around the edge, is the Warm & Black batting that I used. I let it be the edge. No binding. The sun face is a glass tile that I had bought originally to put in my new shower, but when I did the tilework, I forgot I had this, & didn't find it until I was done, so I thought it'd be fun to incorporate it into one of my JQs. The 'flames' I did on wash-away stabilizer with Sulky Holoshimmer thread & bits of hand-dyed yellow wool rovings, then added the Oliver Twist hand-dyed red cotton thread.
The green material under the thread play mossy green, is a cotton Lame', that I burned with my cautery pen, & distressed it with a heat gun. Can you tell I like playing with dangerous tools?

10 comments:

Sandra said...

Wow! What a combination of unusual techniques and materials! The finished piece is gorgeous. Great job.

Michelle Auer said...

Ooo! I think this is my favorite one so far!

Rian said...

Wow Deb, this is most excellent. This deserves a spot in Quilting Arts Magazine.

Anonymous said...

Very cool... even my 24 yr old dd was totally impressed! BTW...that's hard to do. I've only done it a few times in my motherhood! Ha! It is very good!
Linda

Barbara C said...

Beautiful work! You use so many unique materials and techniques. I love you handbag too!

Deb Geyer said...

This is great. I like the textures there are a lot of different textures but they are not overwhelming.

Ali Honey said...

I like it! I like it! I like it!
Great work; well done.
Regards Alison.

allie aller said...

This feels most primeval to me...out of myth! Are there some forest devas lurking just off your deck? Or some Ents? Wonderful techniques and materials, as always...it's a sure thing that your approach will be continually fresh and interesting!

Micki said...

This is gorgeous, Deb. I love all of the texture and threadwork in this. I also think this is one of the best so far. Love your new purse, too.

Granny Fran said...

Scrumptious! Your use of materials fascinates me. This is so organic; it looks like it grew in a fragrant, sun speckled, dim, green forest.