Monday, September 25, 2006

Sometimes Life Sucks

If you heard a sucking sound from the north today, it may have been my day you were hearing. The best thing I can say about today, is that it was a day off work! It started with my fancy-dancy buget breaking dishwasher not working. I Called Meile, & told the man I'd like them to take it back & give me my money back, so I can buy a Maytag! It's the 3rd time in less than a year that this machine has quit working.

THen I tried to make my 2 stars for Debra's Quilt of Valor. Well I've never claimed to be a piecer. There is a reason I don't like piecing. It's because I SUCK at it! I managed to mess up 3 blocks before I got one that I'm not completely ashamed to send.



The first completed will go into a quilt for this little bear, to be donated in November for the Teddy Bear Tea, that will go for gifts for kids in the community here. It ended up a little short, & the points weren't very good, but I figure the teddy bear won't care.

These next 2, well a picture is worth a 1000 words........none of them good!
The last, well it's not perfect, but it's ok, so I guess this will be it. I've run out of time, & can't do another.
The worst part of the day though, came while I was trying to finish these. My dear sister, & best friend, Melodie, otherwise known as Em, called me to say her breast cancer has come back. That sucks more than I can say. I'm so MAD! She's already been through this once before, in 2002, & then helped my sister-in-law as she was dying from breast cancer, then lost her husband to cancer, all while raising 2 grand daughters (9 & 11), & now she's trying to build a new home, & this happens. She has taken everything in stride, with such grace, I hate that this is happening to her.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right Deb, that does suck. She sounds like a strong, idependent and caring person. I wish her and you strength and courage through this time.

Shelina said...

All of your blocks are great. I especially like the one you chose because of the way the fabric makes the star look like it is radiating.
Wow, your sister has had to suffer a lot of hardship in her life, and I am so sorry she has to go through it all over again. I too will wish you strength and courage and health through this time.

Melodie said...

Heh heh......You are so funny Bee! Shelina lied! That 2nd block really does suck! The 3rd one looks great tho! I'm proud of you! Next time you volunteer for a piecing project, let me do it. I'm pretty good at it!

Karoda said...

I know treatment has improved over the decades for this horrible decease but dammit! I want a cure! hangeth in and healing wishes for your friend.

Anonymous said...

Send your quilt block! It is fine and quite worrying!

Ugly news about your sister. ugly, ugly. Keep us posted.

Emmy said...

So sorry I wish you and her very much strength
warm regards Emmy

Rian said...

Sorry to hear about Em. That totally sucks.

I had trouble with my star blocks, too. It's like I forgot how. I promised to make four--I'm half way through my third try at my first one! Oy!

Very pretty star.

allie aller said...

Deb, I am really sorry about your sister. My sis is my best friend too, and I would feel just as you do with this news.

But if she beat it once, she can beat it again!! Thoughts, prayers, and love are winging to both of you...

p.s. (The trouble you had piecing today is less by far than what I would have
had ...which is why I did Debra a favor and didn't volunteer for this!)

Granny Fran said...

I hate cancer! hate! hate! hate! I lost a husband to lymphoma; my Mom, and 2 cousins have had breast cancer(1 twice); and I lost a grandmother, cousin and SIL to that evil disease, breast cancer.

God strengthen and comfort you and Em.

Your star piecing experience is why I'm adjusting my star to not have set in seams. Here's hoping it works. Teddy and his quilt are so cute.

Granny Fran said...

Forgot to say, your final star came out so fine, I love the way the fabric fits to the star shape.

Kay said...

So sorry about your sister! Why does the world do things like that to people? That really does add up to a sucky day.

But your block is fine, a beautiful color. And I can piece, but I can't do lovely art like you. So we're all good at something.

Ali Honey said...

Oh Deb,
That's horrid news isn't it.It sure makes your star problem seem insignificant by comparison.
I wish your Sister well and I am sure you will be a tower of strength to her. Just be there for her is the best thing you can do.
Thinking of you all and sending hugs and strength to help. Alison.

Françoise said...

Just to say I'm thinking of you.
And I've got little stars too on my blog today.

Pat said...

Oh Deb, I am so sorry you and your sister are having to deal with this. There is a lot of cancer among my siblings and last year when it struck twice again (my brother and my sister)I wfelt an anger so deep, so HUGE that it was frightening. But you need to find a way to let it go: beat a tennis racket on the mattress; screetch and yell and scream in the woods. But don't keep it inside.

My thoughts are with you and Em. And I am sending them on......Pat

Barbara C said...

I'm so sorry about your sister's bad news. If it's any consolation, I'm sending you a good thought. Yes, it truly sucks.

Sarah said...

You're right - that sucks! So sorry. I'm sending my best thoughts and prayers to Em. Bye-the-bye, I thought your stars were great!

Robin said...

Allie and Pat have said exactly what I would want to say... My heart and prayers are on their way to you, Em and your family. Big warm hugs...

Unknown said...

My Mum had beast cancer twice in her forties, she is now 79 and an amazing woman, my sister has just had her 5 years clear, and I have reached two years since my treatment, so I have some understanding what you are all going through, stay strong.
sending very positive vibes to you and your family