Thursday, November 02, 2006

ChEMo & WIP Wed on Thur

My sister Em, gets her 1st Chemo today. Please whisper a little prayer for her that all goes well.
Sorry I didn't get my WIP Wednesday posted on Wednesday. I worked the past 3 days, then we went to the Moose's Tooth for soup & breadsticks for supper. The gAHrlic-tomato soup was good, & so were the warm cheezy bread sticks.
When we got home, we went out & soaked in the hot tub under a lovely moon. It was a chilly 18 degrees Farenheight (what's that in centigrade? about -10?, I used to know the calculations). Needless to say, by the time we got in the house I was so sleepy I couldn't keep my eyes open, so I'm posting it today.
I'm staying home today, even though it's a Quilt Guild day. I'd rather hibernate. I've started a fire in the wood stove & will enjoy every minute of staying home!

For my WIP (works in progress), I don't have much exciting to show. The white paper on the wall has some pencil sketching on it. Can you see it? Not done yet.

The green thing will be a small lamp shade when I'm done. It may stay in the shape it's in until next weekend when I do my lecture at the Anchorage Museum. I'm talking for the local Weavers & Spinners Guild. They were interested in some of my threadplay & embellishment techniques, so I'll be doing a trunk show & Demo for them.
The last 2 pictures are my young friend Christy, (from my last posting), wearing her friend's Irish Dance Dress. She borrowed it to show me an example of one, so I could see how they're constructed. I've drawn up a design for her, & last Sunday we went & bought the fabrics. She has them all, right now. I let her take the drawing home so she could study it, while she fondles her fabric for a while. Christy is a quilter too. I taught her & both of her sisters how to quilt years ago, so she appreciates a good fondling of fabric.

So that's all that's happening here. I had decided I would switch to Beta Blogger this weekend, & the button is no longer on my blog! It's been there for weeks, when I didn't have time to mess around with it! Oh well, such is life.

13 comments:

Kay said...

I'll keep thinking of your sister. Hope that all goes well.

When the sketch begins to show up, we know it will be worth the wait.

Maybe Blogger is telling us we missed our chance. I hadn't noticed the botton, but will try to switch next week if possible.

Anonymous said...

What kind of fabric is on that dress? (What kind are you using?)

Sue said...

I'll remember your sister in my prayers, so sorry that she has to go through that, hope she's well soon.
It's cold here today, too, and snowing a little. We didn't get a very nice fall, so I'm not thrilled about winter moving in already.
I've read that some people don't like the beta blogger, but maybe they're working out the kinks.

Anonymous said...

The dress looks leather or something?

Deb Hardman said...

The dress here is made of shiney polyester fabrics. The black that looks almost like leather is actually just a black poly with metallic black dots. It feels very smoothe to the touch. The skirt is stiff from panels of something like Timtex, & Lutradure for a stabilizer.

Marcy said...

that sweet about mom's Chemo in moon that I thought too because i want to look at moon to be pray for my mom get well thanks Aunt DEB

Granny Fran said...

Hope your sister's chemo isn't too hard on her.

It ought to be really fun to put together an Irish dance dress like that. What a pretty girl and she dances, too.

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking good thoughts for your sister.

Boy that dress is something, what is that made of? It looks like leather in the picture.

Melodie said...

Bee ! Are you doing another swimmer quilt? What is this one for? You probably said & I missed it. I think you need a pool up there.......indoors of course.
Chemo put me to sleep! Must have been the anti-alergy stuff. I came home and took a nap. (Vicki drove me again.) Then got up at 4:30 a.m.! I'm taking Taxotere and mega doses of Xeloda (10-500mg. daily.) In case you want to look them up!

Emmy said...

I wish your sister all the good fibbs she needs ,and hope she will be wel soon

Karoda said...

a prayer for strength and recovery went up for you sister. and peace for you and your family during this time.

the dress looks amazing and i'll look forward to seeing your version as well as the lampshade...have fun at your presentation too.

His Office, My Studio said...

Your sister is in my thoughts and prayers.

The dress is very colorful. You will do a great job with the one you are going to make.

Rian said...

Oh my, what a jam-packed post.

1) Prayers for Em that the chemo goes well. We don't want no stinking cancer 'round here!

2) Hibernation is good for the soul.

3) Love that dress-what a work of art!

4) Wow, your speaking at the Anchorage Museum? Small world--my [DH's] cousin used to be a curator there. She found the mask that is at the top of the stairs. (Unfortunately her name isn't on it.) She now works for the State of Alaska. She specializes in the Aleut culture.