Thursday, April 13, 2006

In The Company of Women



Today was my Calendar Girls meeting. We get together once a month, just to chat & laugh, & share our passion for quilting. I love being with this group of women. I'm the baby of the group, at almost 52. Today I learned some new things about some of them. Things I never knew about them.
One talked about her son, who had died at the age of 35, from AIDS. I never even knew she had another son before. He had grown up being pushed into playing football, & being macho, & getting married, then at the age of 30, he left his wife & child, & told the world he was gay. 5 years later he was dead.
Another talked about a 1st husband she'd never mentioned before. How he made a habit of cheating, then one day he went to another country for his job, & while there went out with another woman, only to find out once he got intimate with her that she wasn't a girl at all! He was quite surprised.
We also talked about copyrights, quilting, & health issues & moving away, & friendship. I love these women.
The quilt I'm posting today, is the one I made for the APNQ, Wish You Were Here Exhibit. It was the 2nd one I made, as the 1st was stolen from a mailbox in Seattle. It will be up for auction in August. I made it in memory of my sister-in-law Peggy, who died from breast cancer. It is made in 2 parts, to be hung separate or together. It's name is Mizpah! The butterfly was made with my free motion thread play, it was NOT digitized.

5 comments:

jenclair said...

How beautiful! And I loved reading about your Calendar Girls and the way women share their lives. I have my grandmother's wedding ring (she married around 1904) and inside the band is her name, my grandfather's name, and Mizpah. I cherish it.

Deb Hardman said...

Actually Mary's color may be a bit off on her monitor. The tree trunk is a mottled shades of gray fabric.

Michelle said...

It is beautiful, Deb. The butterfly is gorgeous!

allie aller said...

This quilt is so beautiful....
I too love hearing about your group of wonderful friends.
Nothing can replace them!

Micki said...

A great quilt. Your group sounds like a nice bunch of friends.