Sunday, July 22, 2007

Life & Death & Harry Potter

I attended a funeral yesterday. It was a beautiful service & a glorious sunny day. My friend's husband, 57 years old, died too soon.
On the way home I stopped & bought a copy of the final episode of the adventures of Harry Potter, JKRowling's 7th book, Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows. I don't think I've ever read 759 pages so fast, & yes a did sleep a bit. All I will say right now is there were times when I felt like I'd been hit with a stun spell, & the book made me both laugh & cry. I wish I could send my little "Homage to Hedwig" quilt to JKRowling herself, just to say thank you for the hours & hours of the best entertainment since I was just a little girl, & my Uncle johnny would hold me on his lap & tell me fanciful tales of witches & wizards.
I've tried to keep this comment spoiler free.
On the reality front, & somehow fitting, with my mind so full of life & death right now, my son finally posted pictures of the new grand baby!
Here's the new little family, Laura looks a bit exhausted here after 28 hours of labor.

Little Carys had a bit of a cone-head because of her large head & the long labor. The large head comes from my father's family, Wheelers have big heads. Mine was the largest girl's head in my graduating class. I know this because when measuring for caps & gowns, they did it alphabetically, & I was the last girl to be measured. The lady doing the measuring exclaimed that I had a fat head. A 1/4 inch larger than any other girl in my class.
I believe she has her mother's eyes though.
Isn't she a cutie?

18 comments:

Micki said...

She is a little darling!

Carol said...

I tenatively read your comment on HP this morning hoping you wouldn't spoinl the ending for me - thank you for not spoiling it. I am still reading.

The little one is absolutely gorgeous.

Melodie said...

I guess we should've warned Laura about that head thing! She is a doll, fat head and all!

I just love that little quilt. I think you should send it to her! She'd love it...........being a creative person! I can't believe you read that whole book in a night, amazing. (The quilt should've won that challenge!!)
Love you!

Deb Geyer said...

They are both beautiful! Mom and baby!

And dad's pretty handsome too!

A beautiful family!

KC Quilter said...

What an absolute doll your new granddaughter is!!!

Lei Lei said...

Congrats Aunt Bee! I'm next (Mar 9th-4 days after my 40th) You had the biggest head in class? Why do you know that? love you

BLP said...

Actually her eyes are blue; not like her mom's. They must come as a package deal with the head :)

Love Brandon

Elaine Adair said...

A beautiful little girl - and you are right - a similarity in her eyes. Isn't it amazing that it's THERE even when that darling is only hours old? Glad all is well, Granny! Congratulations to all, and Happy Birthday to little one. All three are very handsome folks!

Dianne said...

She is beautiful!!!!

Love the Hedwig quilt - and I also love Harry Potter books. My 13 y/o has finished it, so it's my turn now....

Kay said...

I'm reading Harry Potter too, so I skipped your whole post on that! But apparently you were too kind to spoil the ending. Beautiful baby! Congrats, Grandma.

Deb Sews Quilts said...

What a beautiful baby!!! I have finished HP too and I was so sad about Hedwig. The quilt is a beautiful idea - I thought I was nuts to be upset but you are understanding.

roxanestoner said...

She is gorgeous! You happy GrandMother you. Congratulations to the whole family. Welcome to the World Baby Girl.

Melissa said...

Carys is beautiful! Congratulations on granddaughter #2!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful baby. Congratulations! But I had to laugh when I read "Wheelers have big heads." I'm married to a Wheeler and he has a large head, as do 2 of his 3 children (the daughters, unfortunately). They joke about their "big ole Wheeler melon heads." You speculated once whether you and I are related, but I'm a Wheeler by marriage only. Now, my husband.....?

laura west kong said...

She's gorgeous! Congratulations to all.

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

I agree, HP has done more for establishing reading habits than any other book, ever. I wish I'd thought of the Homage to Hedwig. How awesome is that!!!

The book worked me over as well and I loved the roller coaster ride of emotions. I remember the first opera I ever saw I went home and made a madame butterfly quilt. Mine wasn't as great as yours and I don't think I have a picture of it. That is true art, expression of emotions, thanks for sharing yours.

Deborah M. said...

She's a beauty!

jenclair said...

Beautiful baby, beautiful quilt, beautiful family! She's a keeper!