Sunday, July 01, 2007

A gift &Lesson Learned - again.

Well here was a nice surprise that came in the mail, it's a hunk of lovely silky feeling fabric, from Africa. My friend Kathy Jolman sent it to me, as a little get well gift. She said the label said "For EKO People" Finest Real Wax Prints. I love it. It feels so nice. I'll have fun with it, I'm sure. Thanks Kathy!
Here's what the Irish Dance dress is looking like today. I've made a little progress, but realize I'm going to have to make a few more snowflakes.

This is some scraps of Batik, that I want to make a diaper bag, & changing pad out of for the new grand baby. This I'm mentioning as a lesson for us all. When I teach my quilting class, I always start out on a potholder sized scrap quilt, to test my tension before quilting on the quilt itself. Tonight, I didn't bother. After all, it's only a little blanket to lay under the baby when they need to changer her diapers. Nothing fancy, who cares if the tension isn't perfect!
Well, this tension was so bad, that the little loops felt rough when I ran my hands over the flannel side, so I ripped it all out.
So, NOTE TO SELF: ALWAYS TEST THE TENSION FIRST!
Oh well, it was good therapy for my shoulder.

10 comments:

Vicki W said...

My Mom quilted two quilts this weekend and this tension problem happened to her on the last bobbin of the last quilt! Don't you just hate it when that happens!

Barbara C said...

Your Irish dancing dress is gorgeous! I hoope you're feeling better from your sugery.

Rian said...

Oh man, I hate when that happens!! The Irish dress is an absolute stunner!

Elaine Adair said...

Oh dear, regarding the tension difficulty - at least when it's this 'off' you can remove it easily! LOL -- There is good and bad in everything! Been there done that.

Anonymous said...

That fabric is wonderful and the dress is coming along beautifully.

allie aller said...

The Irish dance dress is a dazzler!

My little 5 year old niece just started taking Irish dance lessons and loves it.
My sis (her mom) loves the fact that her daughter can take a fun dance class that is not sexualized...like so much is for young girls anymore. It is just pure joyous dance!

Ali Honey said...

The dance dress is beautiful.

The other lesson is always rip it out if it is bad - cause it won't get better by itself!

Anonymous said...

The dance dress takes my breath away.

Granny Fran said...

Exquisite dance dress! My 12 year old granddaughter in SLC is starting to do Irish dance. I don't believe I could make a dress like that for her, unfortunately.

Anonymous said...

Oh Deb it is breathtaking. Christi just dropped her jaw. If you want some help with snowflakes...she's off work for all of July.