Monday, February 19, 2007

My Weekend

I didn't get much done in the fiber arts- quilting department, other than a few cards & 2 more heart shaped pin cushions. My sister Em had another birthday (thank God), & my friend Ilene.
Friday we fianlly finished Christmas. We went over to our friends ZTrace & Dave's & had dinner & gave them their Xmas gift. I also finally took all the decorations that had been setting on the guest room bed with the door closed since January, & got them in their proper boxes. I had to wait for Warren to get the boxes down from a high shelf, as I was afraid I'd hurt the shoulder that I'm trying to wait until May for surgery on. Broccoli has been hanging out with me. Isn't he cute?

Warren has been working on his bar. I helped him finish the trim around the ceiling on Saturday.
Here is the front on the card I made for our friend John, for his 60th birthday.
& here's the inside. It's a picture that I took when we were at the Bakery in Girdwood, after blueberry picking, & John was enjoying a cinnamon role. They have really good ones there.
This is one of 4 cards I made, all similar. I sent one to Ilene & one to Em, & another to my friend Mary, who just lost her husband this weekend.
I made chocolate dipped strawberries to take to John's birthday dinner. The dinner was wonderful. Mindy made cornish game hens with a pomegranite juice with interesting spices & pistachios on them. They were the best I've ever had.
John's cake seemed something of a fire hazard.
I thought we might have to throw it out in the snow! Word of advice here, you really shouldn't cover the top of a cake with those candles that can't be blown out completely. We had a tough time extinguishing them without getting burned!
Here I have to show you the expression on John's face when he opened his gift from Dr Pete Schaab. Pete is Mindy's boss, & he decided to give John & Mindy both a special gift. He bought them tickets to fly to Hawaii.
Oh, & tonight when I got home from work, Warren had gotten his lights hung in his bar.
They really give it a nice warm glow. I'll be glad when we get it all put together.

Sorry for the low fiber content!

13 comments:

Melodie said...

I enjoyed the tour! Dr. Pete must really like the Meins!! That was amazing! Brock-lee is so cuddly looking! That cake was scary!!
Wish I was there with you! Love...

jenclair said...

Beautiful cards! The birthday dinner sounds delicious (mmmmmm! on the strawberries), but the cake was certainly a high point!

allie aller said...

Pretty fun....!

Rian said...

I love that moose 'n spruce lighting. And the cake lighting. Sounds like life in the frozen north is good.

Anonymous said...

Those pictures are hilarious!!! What a fun time with great friends....our friends are the best present life can offer....of course the hot beer was a close second....bought two bottles yesterday...think I'll go back and buy a case.yummy.

Anonymous said...

Just as you were apologizing for low fiber content, I was thinking about the range of creativity your one post covered! Poetry, the gorgeous cards, the strawberries and crazy cake candles, not to mention Warren's fabulous work. NO apologies needed.

Marcy said...

AWWWW I Wish to go hawaii for our honeymoon but I know its too expensive for us !!! I never touch out of country only in USA Unless ALASKA! to see my aunt DEB I miss her and uncle comedy warren! love you!

Angela said...

Broccoli is too cute!

Michelle Auer said...

eep! Broc is Soooo cuuute!

Granny Fran said...

Was he named Broccoli because of the gorgeous green eyes? Those strawberries are too pretty to eat. Not!

Linda Fleming said...

Wow- the bar is going to beautiful! We are in the middle of renovating our home- lots of work. I enjoyed seeing all your photos- your cards are lovely and your kitty is adorable.

Dianne said...

Loved your birthday cards, and those strawberries - yum!! But the cake - oh, I can just imagine everyone trying to douse the flames!!!

Helen said...

lovely post Debs... had to laugh at the thought of throwing the cake out in the snow!... Now then... this bar thing... have I missed something here? Is Warren opening up a "bochan"? (def: lewisean illicet drinking den, usually thatched and most certainally male orientated)