Monday, February 12, 2007

Eyes Are Windows to the Soul

Here's another snowflake all cut out & ready to go for Christi's dress. It's her dog Remi.
Last night I decided I wanted to do "Eyes", (for my 12x12x4-I can't do 12 this year- theme of portals). I felted green wool mixed with green Angelina fibers for the irises, on top of satin fabric for the sclera. All was layered on to wash away stabilizer. The flesh tones are from the Camel hair that my friend Kathy Jolman sent. The brown hair is baby Alpaca wool, & it's soooo soft.
I stuck 2 glass beads on to a strip of black fabric.

Then I cut holes in the Warm & Natural batting, for the beads to peak through as the pupils.

After washing away the stabilizer, The eyes & 3-D nose look quite life like.

It's still damp, so I'll have to wait until Friday (my next day off to work on finishing it). I keep saying "It", because it's so androgenous. I'm. not sure if it's him or her , although this photo looks more "her". I have to think about who this is. Hmmm... does she look like any character you know?

15 comments:

Sandra said...

I'd say 'her'. Can't wait to see how you finish it up!

Granny Fran said...

Amazing! I couldn't figure out how you got that reflection in the pupil. Your ability to think outside the box always amazes me.
When I was into spinning, dying and weaving, I had the joy of spinning some alpaca wool. It is soft! I think alpacas are so cute and they have some of the best wool in the world. Several farms raise them around here.

Melodie said...

I think it is Betty Boop's mother. Must be the hair.

Anonymous said...

You did this in one evening???? Wow! thanks for sharing your techniques. This piece is excellent and looks female to me.

The Calico Cat said...

She looks so familiar, but i am not sure where. She also lookt o be related to Betty Boop...

Terri Stegmiller said...

Wow she's great...are you gonna name her? Oh by the way, I guess I thought your face was female.

allie aller said...

Very clever treatment of the eyes! Thanks for sharing your technique with us.

Lei Lei said...

I think "she" resembles that chick that played Dorothy on the Wizard of Oz, when she is older though.

Elaine Adair said...

"It's her dog Remi" ??? What is the relationship of that sentence to the fabric snowflake ? I'm guessing you did some magic with a photo and turned it into fabric? Can you explain?

...from an artist wannabe, but doesn't make the cut!

Dianne said...

Oh Deb - this is fantastic. Love how you've made her eyes.

Kay said...

What an interesting idea to put the pupils behind the batting. I don't know who she is, but I like the little character lines at the corners of the mouth--she's a wise lady.

jenclair said...

She does resemble Betty Boop! Love the eyes!

Debra Dixon said...

She looks very 50s to me.

I agree with Fran. You are the best at thinking outside the box!

Meredith said...

Him or her either way it is fantastic. I enjoy the texture she has and the short hair style.

laura west kong said...

I'd say she, probably because of the red lips. What a great idea to cut pictures into the snowflakes!