Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Thread play Samples


Today I'm taking a trip down Memory Lane, to show what can be done with thread. I'll be teaching this class at Coupeville Arts Center on Whidbey Island the 28th & 29th of April. Please consider joining me if you can. I'll be there no matter how few students show up! Above is a small quilt I made using threadplay, based on a photo I took of my son Corey, 25 years ago.

This is an example of how a fabric that may not be the right color can be used to make something entirely different. A tropical bird became a Magpie with just the use of thread.

This dragonfly is a detail of a larger wall quilt, using bits of scraps of threads & fabrics.

My latest flower pin for fancying up whatever you like.

This is an example of how preprinted fabric can be enhanced .





Above is the lampshade I made for my living room.



This little quilt was done on an example of punded flowers gone wrong. My friend Irene Stewart was going to throw this away, when I asked her to give it to me, to see what I could do to make it sing.



It won a Blue Ribbon & the highest judges choice cash award at the Alaska State fair.



The red teapot in the middle of this clock is made entirely of thread.



This dragonfly has tread over wire wings & leaves.



Trees & moon above are all thread, & appliqued on to the surface of the quilt.



The little red & white was a preprinted fabric that I used a heavy cotton thread on the printed design, to look just like hand redwork embroidery.

The orange pin above was thread play on the machine, with some hand weaving & bead embellishment.

Flowers are fun to do in thread, & can be worn on a lapel or hat, or used to embellish everything from quilts to clothing to cards, & home dec items.

You can make scarves & shawls, lace & even your own original cloth using this method. It's addictive & FUN! Come play with me! Please !

10 comments:

Dianne said...

Such wonderful samples!! If I lived closer I would be there for sure!!!

jenclair said...

I so wish I could take this class! I will have to content myself with having your lovely pink flower that attached itself to my own lapel during the winter!

Terri Stegmiller said...

Wow, lots of lovely samples. I really like the one you did of your son.

Linda Fleming said...

Oh my! Those quilts are truly amazing! Absolutely gorgeous work. And that lamp shade is wonderful.
Peace-
Linda

allie aller said...

Deb, this is such an inspiring show. I had no idea machine threadwork could take so many forms!
I wish I could come up to Coupeville...but the next week-end I am going to NYC and I would get scalped by my family if I left two week-ends in a row.....
What a great class you will give; I am sorry to miss it.

smarcoux said...

Deb fantastic work .. I love how you did the hair on your son ... truly talented lady. The lampshade is amazing .. what did you use to stablize it?
Sandy

Rian said...

Wow~ You are just a bubbling fountain of creativity! Love the lampshade.

Micki said...

So many great examples. The one of your son is awesome.

Granny Fran said...

It would be wonderful to learn to do that thread work technique. Sure would enrich our work.

Joanna said...

The one of your son is really beautiful! Love the threadwork