Saturday, April 21, 2007

SIGN YOUR WORK!

Yes I'm shouting so you will all hear me. I want every one of you to listen now. SIGN YOUR WORK! The following little quilts are a joint effort. The appliquer is unknown. The blocks were found in our Guild's stash. No body knows how they got there. Member Jane Ferguson took the blocks, & added "frames" & bound them, even put sleeves on the back, but says she's "not a quilter", & only did some stitch-in-the-ditch quilting to hold them together. They are going into out auction in September, so I offered to do some quilting on them to make them a little more finished. Click on the photos to see the quilting. Of course now I have to stitch the sleeves back in place, but I'm happy with what the quilting did for them.





This Tulips Basket is my favorite of the bunch.

Last week I bought 4 pieces on Ebay. I bid on a few more, but didn't win everything I bid on. It was a fund raiser for Greenpeace, & all the items were Fiber Art. One of the things I didn't win was Sue Bleiweiss' padfolio, so I went to her webpage & ordered one I liked even better. It came in the mail yesterday, & I love it even more in person, but Sue, you didn't sign it! This is a work of ART. If we in the Fiber Art world want to be respected & thought of a REAL Artists, then we should be signing our work!
& Mags dear, you're guilty too! You could at least sign your name with a pigma or gel pen inside the purse, if you don't want to sign it outside. You should've heard the razzing I got at Quilt Guild on Thursday for "Buying" a purse. I have my own patterns, & teach purse classes & they all know it. I told them this is a work of Art, & I wanted it to hang on my wall. Inspiration from an Artist I admire. I really do love it.
Now, Dianne, I can't find a signature on yours either, but I might be able to forgive that, given the nature of this piece. Next time, I would say maybe stitch your initials in somewhere, or make a little tag to fit along the back of the wire.
This is so much prettier in person. She used a layer of shimmery fabric that glows red to bluish.
Suzan Widecrantz didn't sign her whole name on her postquards either, but she signed Suz, & sent a calling card with them.

The next piece is one of my own ATCs. It's going as a surprise to someone out there. A little spot of sunshine to someone who was rained on.
This I made for Barbara in Germany. We're doing a trade.
& the last is an ATC that I made to ship with Mermaid's Dream, to Debby Leonard in MN, who purchased my quilt from seeing it on my Web Page. Thanks again Debby!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I promise I will never let a piece of work, no matter how small, leave my studio without signing it first!

Lucky you getting Mag's bag!

Barbara said...

Oh wonderful! I can see my ATC before reaching !

Lori (A.K.A. Elkhoundmom) said...

Wow! What incredible work everyone has done! Thanks for the reminder about signing things!

allie aller said...

Great art show here!
Thanks for the link to Sue B's work...I'd never seen it before and I love it! I've added her blog to my RSS feed so I'll be keeping up on her doings from here on....

Purple Missus said...

You've shown some wonderful work on here today. Its all very good and I love your pieces too.

Shirley Goodwin said...

I agree about the signing though I'm guilty of that - maybe we're too modest!

Love that bag.

Ali Honey said...

Wow Deb, so much wonderful work in one post. Yum!
Yes you are right ...sign your work...be proud of the great works of art you create! Isn't the variety and wonderful colour just delightful. Thanks for showing us these photos. ( I hope it's getting warmer for you there)

mindy said...

I often think about signing my glasswork, but its kind of a pain. Several of my East Coast friends have been nagging me to sign my plowls...now you too....but I guess youre all right. I'll try.

Micki said...

So many wonderful things you have shown. I am guilty. I don't always sign everything. I will try to do better. :-)

Deb Geyer said...

Lovely quilting Deb! Quilting really does finish a piece, doesn't it?

Granny Fran said...

Thanks for the lovely art show as well as the tongue lashing. I will sign my pieces as soon as they are finished in the future. Congratulations on the sale of Mermaid's Dream; the ATC is precious.

Dianne said...

Yes Mrs. DebH - from now on I will try to remember to sign my work. Mags bag is beautiful - what a great buy!!!

laura west kong said...

what delicious eye candy! I could look at it all day long, but then I'd never get anything accomplished today.

Pat said...

Hi Deb. I love those little quilts; I love your treasures (even unsigned).

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

You make history when you put a label on your work. I like to put mine on back with as much information as I can on the label. Occasionally, I'll sign it on the front, but, the more information the better, and the front is not so great for all the detail. Date; who; where; and who it was made for and why...I can go on and on.

Digitalgran said...

As you know I am thrilled that you chose to buy my bag. I will send you a signed label for you to stitch inside the bag. I had never thought it could be considered as a piece of art. Thanks for telling us all about this matter of signing our work.

Helen said...

so glad you got Mags' bag too - feel like it's stayed "in the family" so to speak so will be guaranteed to be fully appreciated :))

Susan D said...

Just found your blog through a comment you left on 'A Stitch in Time'. I agree it doesn't matter how small or large our piece of Textile Art is we should sign it. Our work is just as valid as a piece of ART as any painting or drawing.