Thursday, August 31, 2006

August Journal Quilt

The 2 pictures are from last August, when my sister Melodie was here, with her 2 grand-
daughters, Jenny & Sarah. We went blueberry picking with my friends the Meyn family. We had a great time, picking berries from their secret spot. We never even considered going this August, because it's rained heavily, almost every day , but I was remembering the fun we had, & decided that would be a good subject for this month's JQ.


I didn't do much new this time, other than using the fusible black bias to define the edges. The picture, I just painted with mostly Versatex fabric paint, but I also used a touch of Metallic copper paint by Behr.
I did most of this last night, along with my September Journal Quilt, so now I'm ahead instead of behind! I got September done so that I'll have 9 (3 rows of 3) to hang next weekend at the Anchorage Log Cabin Quilt guild show.

Tomorrow I have to work, UGH! & I'm on call. Double UGH! Today I worked on cleaning & vacuuming. I rearranged our DVDs. I'll post a picture late. I don't want to mess this post up (since this is my 3rd try!) September starts tomorrow already. I have a theory that time goes faster the closer you live to the poles (North or South). At least that's how it feels to me!

10 comments:

Barbara C said...

What a lovely piece! Berries and summer evoke such wonderful memories.

jenclair said...

The association with family and memories makes this a perfect journal quilt. Like the quilting adding to detail, too. I'm going to try painting some day (I have the paints, but usually don't think about them).

Sandra said...

I like your journal quilt...I love the close-up. That tighter composition, colors, quilting, etc., enlarged to a bigger size would also make a great journal quilt. Your quilting over the painted cloth turned out wonderfully.
Do get to see auroras much where you are? Spaceweather.com is forecasting them for tonight and tomorrow night. Watch one for me!

Michelle Auer said...

I think time goes faster when you are closer to doing what you really love. :-)

Debra Dixon said...

Fun summer piece and the berries from last year look delicious!

allie aller said...

Nothing says summer like blueberry pie.
You caught it just right!

Granny Fran said...

Great piece, the colors are so vivid. I feel like I could pick up one of the berries and eat it. I love blueberries, what a joy to be able to pick your own. The photos are great also. Yummie.

Micki said...

Blueberries, yum! I like the way you chose to place the bowl on the chair. Your quilting makes it look like it really is wood instead of fabric. Nice piece!

Rian said...

Nice work! The wood grain quilting of the chair is very clever and the bowl of berries really pop!

Kim said...

Nice, Deb - I always think of blueberries as an end of summer treat.