Sunday, November 28, 2010

Snowflakes on a quilt

I’ve stayed away from the computer this past 2 weeks because of hand pain. The joints flared up again at work on Friday 2 weeks ago, but seem to be better now. Typing wasn’t good for me.

I did manage to cut some paper snowflakes on wash-away paper by YLI. I sprayed them with Sulky 2000 basting spray & stuck them to the back of the quilt-top.

td 001

I put a heavy, sparkly metallic thread in the bobbin, & stitched over the snowflake designs.

td 003 td 005

This is how it looks from the front of the quilt. I tore away most of the paper after stitching, what little bits are left will be on the inside, & will dissolve with a spritz of water.

td 004

I started quilting this quilt, & found I was having issues with getting a smooth curve line because of my table on my machine catching on my zipper where I have the quilt attached to the rollers.

td 092

See, down there, where the gap in the Chartreuse plastic is, it catches.

td 093

I had bought this Sew-slip II mat for my Bernina, but decided to give it a try in Lily.

td 094

It really helped! Problem solved! Now I think I’ll buy another mat for the Bernina, so I can just leave this one in place!

td 095

We had out traditional Thanksgiving day feast at the Meyn’s house as always. The bird was beautiful. Mindy has it down to a science now.

td 006

Here’s wishing you all a happy & safe holiday season, no matter what your place in the world, or your belief system. PEACE!

 td 050

9 comments:

Elizabeth Ann said...

I'm glad your back, I miss seeing your beautiful work. Hopefully your hands will stay well!

Ali Honey said...

I love your snowflake idea. Hope the hand improves.
The bird looks yummy. Belated Hhappy Thanks Giving.

Stephanie said...

I love the snowflakes Deb! Hope your hands don't bother you for awhile or never again.

Delighted Hands said...

Glad the sore hands didn't keep your creativity down....this snowflake idea is great! Glad you had a nice holiday!

Melodie said...

You didn't outline the snowflakes, did you stitch the center from the cut edges?
I like that mat. I had a build up on my bernina after sewing with that grid on the backs of the postage stamp quilts. It caused quite a drag & made it hard to sew. Like the sticky part of the fusible was rubbing off. Do you think that mat would help?
We had a lovely TG @ Don & Marsha's. There were 37+ people including Dad, Dave & Linda. (Dad turned his hearing aids off.....to noisy!)

Deborah Levy said...

Pretty snowflakes Deb!

Kathy -MIQuilter said...

I've always loved your hand cut snowflakes, now I'll always have some. Beautiful!

Phyllis said...

Hello! I don't remember how I discovered you but so glad that I did. I LOVE the quilt in your header. And I love the idea of stitching snow flakes. I'll have to give that a try.

Phyllis said...

It's me again - I just scrolled down and saw your gray and white kitty. He looks like my Smudge!