Sunday, January 04, 2009

In the Deep Freeze

We ended up staying home New Year's Eve. I was all set to go, when I found Warren setting on the couch with his eyes closed, looking miserable. He had a migraine starting up, so I called Mindy & let her know we were staying home. He went to bed at 9 p.m. & slept all night. He felt better the next day.
A celebration of Alaska's 50Th year of Statehood, activities are now happening in downtown Anchorage & all across the state. Yesterday there was an array of venues & the Anchorage Daily News has a slide show of pictures. I found friends Corinne McVee (holding the flag)& Mona (front & center, who has a new last name that I can't remember, she just got married).
You can tell from the pictures we are still in the deep freeze. Temps got all the way up to -8 here yesterday. It was -18 last night when I checked. Right now it's -12.2 at our house in the middle of the day.
I'd really like to go the the Museum to see the "quilt" display. Actually they are panels that we pieced together. I worked on one of them. We are going out for dinner & maybe a movie today.
We saw the "Curious Case of Benjamin Button" on New Year's Day. It was OK. I didn't love it, nor did I hate it. It was entertaining, but weird as this sounds, from someone who loves Sci-Fi, & Fantasy books & movies, I have a hard time getting into a story where the character is aging backwards. It just defies all the laws of nature. Why would the magic in Harry Potter be more acceptable to me than aging backwards? I just don't know.

9 comments:

Granny Fran said...

And I was feeling sorry for myself because it didn't get above 25 degrees today, with snow, at least. If it has to be cold it is good to have some moisture, even if snow is a four letter word.

Quilt crazy said...

I agree with your movie review...saw it on Christmas day. It's snowing here again in Oregon! But not nearly as cold!

Anonymous said...

Brrrr. Stay warm. I know only too well the disheartenment of an oncoming migraine.

Annabel said...

Brrr that's chilly! It went down to -6 here last night which made for a cold dog walk this morning. Not sure what I'd do with the dog if it got much colder as he's very old and fragile. I'll have to quilt him a nice doggy coat or buy some thermals! Keep warm.

Mary lin Huskamp said...

Happy 50th Alaska! BEAUTIFUL State! Best Wishes for 2009!

Delighted Hands said...

Happy Alaska Birthday!

jenclair said...

I agree with your opinion about the concept of aging backward. Weird, but somehow not something that really intrigues me. Keep warm!

Anonymous said...

Kevin and Tara went downtown for the parade and celebration - he sent some great pictures including several closeups of Sarah P. speaking to the crowd.

Thanks for the book you sent - your artwork on the front was exquisitely done, as usual! Thanks so very much!

allie aller said...

Ooohhh it sounds SO cold!
I read a review of Benj Button that said the musical score was really great, at least....
Stay warm, girlie....