On Friday I cleaned my studio. I hadn't been able to get in there & do anything since I finished the few small Christmas projects I had done. It was too messy, & I just couldn't get going, so I cleaned. I sorted. I tossed out old junk mail & Christmas cards from 2 years ago. It felt good to get things in order again.
Saturday I was able to put a quilt on to Lily. It is a small Grandmother's Flower Garden, that my oldest sister Vicky made, several years ago. It is the first quilt she ever attempted. All hand pieced. She didn't know how to finish it, so I brought it home with me, & quilted it for her. I'm going to send it to my other sister Em, & let her bind it. If my camera gets here before I send it out, I'll post some pictures.
I also had plenty of spare room on my backing fabric, so I added a 17"x17" square of Warm & White batting, & put together a crazy quilt for the Alliance For American Quilts 2009 Crazy for quilts contest. It's all Allie's fault. She made me do it.
I had been kicking around an idea, of doing the actual piecing & quilting at the same time on Lily, so I thought a small size like this (actually it's 16x16, I trimmed it down), would be a good size to try out. I started with the back & batting, then laid the first piece in the center, & quilted it in place. I then placed & quilted each piece until it was done. Now I will bind it, & hand embellish the seams.
I used my flat bed scanner to show you what it looks like right now. The white center piece was cut from an old blouse, the embroidery was there, all I did was quilt around it.