Sunday, January 11, 2009

Getting back in the groove

On Friday I cleaned my studio. I hadn't been able to get in there & do anything since I finished the few small Christmas projects I had done. It was too messy, & I just couldn't get going, so I cleaned. I sorted. I tossed out old junk mail & Christmas cards from 2 years ago. It felt good to get things in order again.
Saturday I was able to put a quilt on to Lily. It is a small Grandmother's Flower Garden, that my oldest sister Vicky made, several years ago. It is the first quilt she ever attempted. All hand pieced. She didn't know how to finish it, so I brought it home with me, & quilted it for her. I'm going to send it to my other sister Em, & let her bind it. If my camera gets here before I send it out, I'll post some pictures.
I also had plenty of spare room on my backing fabric, so I added a 17"x17" square of Warm & White batting, & put together a crazy quilt for the Alliance For American Quilts 2009 Crazy for quilts contest. It's all Allie's fault. She made me do it.
I had been kicking around an idea, of doing the actual piecing & quilting at the same time on Lily, so I thought a small size like this (actually it's 16x16, I trimmed it down), would be a good size to try out. I started with the back & batting, then laid the first piece in the center, & quilted it in place. I then placed & quilted each piece until it was done. Now I will bind it, & hand embellish the seams.
I used my flat bed scanner to show you what it looks like right now. The white center piece was cut from an old blouse, the embroidery was there, all I did was quilt around it.
I think this is going to be fun!

11 comments:

Melodie said...

That is beautiful already!! You can do work like that while on the phone?!! I can't wait to see it done.
Scanning was a great idea too! You are amazing......over-achiever.

Kathy -MIQuilter said...

Wow, it looks beautiful already, what a great idea to use your long-arm. The hand embellishment will be the "cherry on top". I went on the ALCQ web site and it looks great, I like the black background it makes the picutes pop. I can't see any thing you could add.

Jeri said...

gorgeous!!!

Vicki W said...

What a great idea fo crazy quilting! I had not thought od doing it like that on the LA.

Delighted Hands said...

That is amazing-hurry and get that camera fixed and treat us to more, more, more!

allie aller said...

This is incredible, Deb!!!! Gorgeous and so innovative, bringing that old-fashioned genre right up to the moment. LOVE IT!

Anonymous said...

Wow already! I can't work when my studio is a mess. Once I'm into a project though, all bets are off.

roxanestoner said...

That was a great idea to add that shirt to your project. Love the subdued colors but. Your quilting is as always impecable. Cleaning up the studio sounds like what I should be doing... soon. ahahah.

Debra Dixon said...

Very pretty with the embroidery!

Helen said...

yummy work Deb. I do love how you quilt things - it really seems to bring fabrics to life.

quiltmom anna said...

Hi Deb,
It is really lovely, this piece of crazy quilting piece that you have created. You do such lovely work.
I thought you might like to know your lovely book with its special art piece safely arrived today in the mail. I think it is really beautiful and I shall treasure it always.
I will try and take a photo and post it on my blog on the weekend. Thank you so much for your thoughtful creation and calendar gift. It was a wonderful thing to do.
Warmest regards,
Anna