Thursday, January 15, 2009

Here is another scanner image of the Crazy quilt project. I did a little beading & embroidery on it last night. I used an old lens from Aunt Ethel's glasses to cover an old-fashioned picture, then captured the whole thing with beads. To the right of that I did a row of satin stitching with Pearle cotton & a big needle. My hands were cramping when I got finished with that. To the left is a row of bumpy yarn that I stitched down & added a row of stone beads.
We spent a quiet evening watching DVDs, as the Chinook wind was blowing & the satellite dish is useless in the high winds. It looks like tonight will be more of the same.
We have gone from sub-zero temps, to 49 degrees. The hill was an icy toboggan run yesterday. I went to go down the hill, creeping out of my driveway at under 5 MPH, slid into the ditch on the right, managed to pull myself out..spun 2 full circles, ending up in the ditch on the left, then backed out into a neighbor's driveway. She has it plowed like a large parking lot, so I pulled in, & (thankfully I was smart enough to wear my crampons), & I hiked back home. I called the hospital & let them know that I wasn't going to make it in. Warren had to hike a mile from the bottom of the hill to get home. It was a good thing he didn't have to work last night too.

14 comments:

Helen said...

oh my goodness! even slowly out of control sets the nerves jangling doesn't it. I'm guessing you're a James Bond cocktail (shaken but not stirred?) Is there any damage?

Stephanie said...

I know how you feel Deb, Richard couldn't make it to work either. and we don't live on a hill.

jenclair said...

Wow! I imagine a lot of people would miss work for safety reasons in those conditions.

Love the crazy quilt image...looks sumptuous!

Anonymous said...

+49? It must be summer. It's -11 in Chicago today. Love the cool tone of the cq block.

allie aller said...

Using Aunt Ethel's lens over the picture was brilliant!
You Alaskans are a tough breed....crampons at the ready!

Kathy -MIQuilter said...

Your crazy piece is beautiful, I love using the eye glass lens, only you would think of it. The only good thing about that weather is being able to stay home and quilt!

Nancy said...

Boy, I'm glad I'm in Colorado. I'm sure our driveway up there is a glare of ice!! Glad you enjoyed the food photos......pretty amazing, isn't it? I think I'm in trouble when Craig gets back here!! I really like what you're working on! Stay safe up there!

roxanestoner said...

Pretty scary out where you are. We are on a hill and the rain was strong and warm enough to melt a lot of the ice. It was sanded pretty well too. Good thing you had your crampons and where not too far from home. Take good care

Jeri said...

Kevin was telling me about the crazy weather just yesterday! Its amazing, isn't it. I am stunned at the wind y'all have had!

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Deb.

I found your lovely blog through Helen S site. What a super idea to use your Aunt Ethel's glass lense to cover the photo. Great Look.

I am a Michiganer who also lived in Alaska for awhile. I was a bush school nurse and lived in Fairbanks. I am in the process of creating my first CQ too. Take care.

Hugs Judy

Granny Fran said...

Really like the CQ your are creating. Your lovely quilting adds such great texture and richness to the fabrics.
We're going back and forth from cold and icy to quite warm spells here in SE Colorado; up to sixties today, but it always gets cold at night. Since I turned 70 and am not as strong as I used to be, I simply refuse to drive on snowy and icy days. Of course, I don't have to go to work any more.

laura west kong said...

so pretty! stay warm and cozy. =(^_^)=

Taryl said...

Oh, the quilt looks like it is going to be ridiculously beautiful, and as a fellow Anchorage resident I am HATING this weather. At least sub-zero and dry is fairly easy to drive in, but this ice-under-snow business HAS to stop!

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Deb. I have tagged you for the 6th picture meme. Please have a look on my blog. Hugs Judy