Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Just Home From Homer

The day we left Anchorage, it was sunny & bright. We stopped at the rest stop by the cutoff to Hope, & a nice young professional photographer offered to snap a picture of us together, so here we are, in a rare photo of the 2 of us. A bit squinty because of the bright sun, but such a beautiful day, who can complain!
We got up early on our 1st full day, & took a long walk on the beach. Clouds had moved in during the night, & it was intermittent rain & clouds the rest of our time in Homer, but we had a very restful, good time.
I took 148 photos, & can only show 7 in 1 blogging, so here are only a few of Homer for now. I'll add a few more later. I found this jellyfish the size of a dinner plate washed up on the beach.

The painting class was a meditative expeirience. I had no idea what I would paint, & since I'm not a painter, I was quite shocked that I managed to paint anything that was recognizable. The class was about the "PROCESS" not "Product". It was about painting what you were feeling. I didn't take pictures of other people's work, it just wouldn't have been right. It was a very private & individual expeience for each person. There were 13 women in the class. Some were actually painters & their art was amazing. One was a doctor, one worked in fused glass, a couple were photographers, one I think was some sort of therapist, one was a road crew manager. It was an interesting mix. All had some interest in art in one form or another. We all felt moved & changed by the class, & some are going to continue to meet & paint together for process.
My 1st painting became a portal. I've had portals on the brain for months now, so I finally got to do one. I didn't know what would be beyong the door, it started out sort of pretty & benign, but 2 sharks crept in, to represent the fears about cancer & my sister.
My next painting, I had no preconcieved idea of what it would be. I started with a design that I've drawn & quilted dozens of times. It was the Paisley like image in the upper right corner. I accidentally made a blue line with a 2nd brush in my left hand, & that became the start of the Firebird image. It really painted itself. Down below, on one of the leaves a tiny spider appeared. It too was a random accident of my paint, that decided it wanted to stay. I am arachniphobic, so it's lucky I didn't obliderate it!
My last, & by far the strangest painting was urged on me by Stewart. He said I should include a face (I balked loudly as I didn't think I could paint a face, since I'm not a painter), but a face came in, & it looks like a face, sort of, & the tree of life, & large sun, that started out as an orange that wasn't happy being just an orange... all sorts of strange dream-like imagery, & I had to hurry to finish as time ran out. But each time I look at these pictures I'm startled that I actually did them.
The last is the group together at the end, just before we all left. It was a very different sort of class. I never got to really know any of these people because we were so quiet & intent on what we were doing. Yet I feel connected some how, & would love to go back & do it again. I went for the CEU's but gained way more than that. I have a feeling of inner peace that I can't begin to explain. If ever any of you get the chance, take one of these workshops. You don't need to know how to paint.

12 comments:

Shirley Goodwin said...

Awww, this is the girl who said she's not a painter!!!!????

sue b said...

Not a painter? Well it sure looks like you're a painter! These pieces are wonderful. I especially like the firebird one. Gosh these are all nicely done Deb!

Melodie said...

Wow Bee! These are awesome! I'm not surprised tho.......look how you paint with thread!
Pre testing today.......surgery Mon. Talk to you soon!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos - thanks for sharing. (You should frame the one of the two of you - the whole thing is georgeous!)

Shelina said...

Wow, these are really good! And you did them all in one workshop?!

jenclair said...

Deb, you have a creative muse...who doesn't seem to have a preferred medium. She is present in your quilting, your photography, and your painting.

Marcy said...

my gosh my aunt deb looks like my mom right !!! wow and but i am surprised that u are painting and i just out of curious how to do that for paint and i really loves to paint alot and i paint with numbers in pictures and mostly of wolves and but i just happy that u have alot of different of crafts and hobbies to keep up for health !!!

MJAPA said...

The paintings are lovely! I esp like the use of color. I also love that Broccoli is in the first one! :-)

Sande said...

Very nice photos, every one! Going to translate those fascinating paintings into fabric art? I love your scenic photos and it's nice to see that you and your husband had a nice time away. That's even better than a good workshop!

Anonymous said...

Deb, I think your class helped you connect to your own Soul, and that is why it is giving you so much peace.

What a wonderful experience!
~Allie

Rian said...

Wow, Deb! Jeez, I think you may have found a niche there. What incredible paintings and each one so meaningful--not to mention well-executed. They're all good but I especially love the portal one with the two sharks. because it's so poignant.

Thanks for sharing this journey. Great picture of you 'n Warren.

debraspincic@yahoo.com said...

I have to agree with the other comments, your paintings are really poignant; rather remind me of Freida Kahlo with the face in the tree. Good for you!