Saturday, April 16, 2011

Straw Dying

My last class at MQX on Thursday was "Straw Dying" with Nancy Begin. She started by spraying thePFD fabric with a solution of Soda Ash in hot water. Then using a straw to scoop a bit of dry dye , sprinked it over her fabric. Sprayed some more & rubbed it around...
ending up with a grid from the plastic lid below.
Here are my fabics after washing & drying.
I can't wait to go do more at home!

PS-YES FITZY, I AGREE YOU MUST WEAR A MASK!
 I DID!
It's Nancy's personal choice to not wear one, but I remember a dyer dying from not
wearing one.

5 comments:

QuiltingFitzy said...

Looks fun! The colors are awesome! Me thinks you should wear a mask tho, the loose dye in the air..not a good thing.

Delighted Hands said...

This is satisfying on every level-love the fabric you made!(Marsel brought her gift you made-stunning! We enjoyed the crazy quilt book, too!)

Stephanie said...

Looks like a lot of fun.

Anita Heady Fiber Arts, LLC said...

Looks beautiful, but I dye fabric for a living and would NEVER recommend not wearing a mask. So glad you made that comment on your blog.

Gloria said...

I was in that class! I wasn't able to rinse/wash my fabric till I got home almost a week later, and I was very pleased with the results! The colours are so rich!