Thursday, April 28, 2011

Judy O's Moon Over The Mountains

The most recent client quilt I finished is this Moon Over The Mountains. Judy made this for a friend of hers that just got through treatment for cancer. She said her friend has surmounted mountains, & that why she made this quilt for her.

She wanted it only lightly quilted, so I restrained myself & did some pretty simple quilting on it. This one went pretty smoothly. I think the fact that it had a flannel back made it easier on lily, because even though it's all Batik on top, I had no problem with the skipping of stitches this time. I suspect my problems happen when I have to sew through the double & triple layers of Batiks, which will be the next quilt on the hit parade.

Here's the flannel back. If you look closely, I hadn't gone all the way around the moons on a couple of blocks. I fixed that & sent it back to Judy without hanging it for a second photo.

I've also been working on the next Fiberactions challenge quilt. The word is "Embellish", & I am trying to use some restraint with it, but still having fun. I may show a bit of it here soon, but the reveal isn't until May 15th.
 
The other thing I am trying to work on is getting ready for my one woman show in July. Making fliers for publicity, doing an inventory list, making name plates & figuring out how each piece can be hung, & trying to crank out a few more pieces for the show....No rest for the wicked!
 
My Dad has been calling me frequently too, to report on his doctor visits, & what they want to do for treatment of his lung cancer. It's wonderful hearing from him so often (& I'm so grateful he has a phone program that allows him free long distance -something that we can't get here in Alaska.) He is still going to work part time, & is now using oxygen, which makes him sleep better at night, & feeling better..
 
My favorite philosophy learned from an old friend Mr. Fiano,.." I'm going to live until I die".  Good words to live by!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

nice job on the quilt, I didn't know you were putting on a show, how cool. I'm glad you and your dad are talking often.

Delighted Hands said...

The quilt is stunning; I like the story, too.

Digitalgran said...

I'm so sorry your father has lung cancer, but also glad he is being so positive. Those are very good words to live by!
what a lovely idea for a quilt for someone who has been through such a lot like Judy's friend.