Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sunday Visitor

It was a typical Sunday in Anchorage. The alarm cat woke me up at 5:41, & I couldn't figure out what his problem was. 10 minutes later we had an earthquake. It was only a 3.54, Warren snored through it, but I was wide awake.
Later in the day we had our first bear siting of the year. He was chilling on out front porch, among the hulls left from the bird feeders, which have been put away a couple of weeks ago.
He obviously thought they should still be there. He was looking for them. He moved some of the wood slats that are for finishing the deck. Now if we could just train him to help.

He did do a little sweeping for me.
Then he walked off in a huff.
Maybe down the hill will have better pickings. It is garbage night tonight!

14 comments:

Granny Fran said...

Cats (and other critters) do seem to know when an earthquake is going to happen. Did you get ash from the volcano that erupted? How dare you not have good munchies for that sweet little bear. Too bad you can't use his muscles for that deck job.

Françoise said...

Beautiful! But a bit scary. He looks so powerful.

magsramsay said...

And I thought I had problems with squirrels eating the bird food!

Guzzisue said...

OMG- what a scary bear! we just get foxes and thats bad enough!

Vicki W said...

OK, that would freak me out!

Delighted Hands said...

A beauty, isn't he?! Glad you got to watch him and that he was pretty mellow! So glad you got pics to share!
Cool about the earthquake-

Marcy said...

Hey Aunt Deb, I can't beleive that you have pet of bear! because you seems not freak it out from them that you have been alot of animals for PET in Alaska! I was so shocked! Bear did lay the down in your front porch! lol Let me know if you are all right !

Helen said...

wow! what a sunday you've had. I love the bear encounter.

roxanestoner said...

Yikes!!! He does look so friendly. Good thing you were inside your house.

Debra Dixon said...

How cool is that??

Yvette said...

How wonderful to have a Bear to visit. I live in the city in australia and have lots of wonderful birds and possums visiting and the occassional bat at night, but a bear...wow.

Sara said...

Just found your blog! I love it. I'm in Cordova, so not too impressed with the bear:)but am also relishing in the delight us Alaskans feel at spring bursting forth. I'll be sure to check in often. Thank you for your amazing pictures and descriptions of your art.

Stephanie said...

man I wish I could of been there to see that, only bears I see are at the zoo or the baby bear out on a field trip in school. of course we saw what they leave behind in my moms yard one year, man did it stink!

Sandra said...

Having a bear on the porch is such a mixed blessing!