Saturday, July 19, 2008

Life After Knee Replacement

Can I tell you how thankful I am for all of my friends & family. Mindy & John & the girls stopped by today to give us a corn casserole. We love it. It's real comfort food.
My friend Mary Lee made mac & cheese (which was very good BTW, I had some for dinner tonight), & chicken noodle soup which I'll have tomorrow night.
My DH bought fruit for me, per my request. This as well as my prunes are a necessity when taking Percocet!
This is the bunch of flowers from my dad & siblings in Michigan, with 2 poppies added from my friend Alyc's garden.
My view out my hospital window was of Merrill Field the busiest small airport in the world. My friend Barb Quaid's son Matt works in the tower over there.
These pretty lilies were in my flowers from Dad too, but I had them put them in the big family waiting room on my floor, as they ten to kick up my asthma when enclosed in a small room with me. They are beautiful though.


Mindy & the gang gave me this gorgeous bunch of yellow roses.
&Ilene & Stu sent the teddy bear & balloons.










Flowers were spectacular, but hospital food was pretty bad. Even once they got it straight that I'm not a beef or pork eater, food was pretty sad. The good news is that I didn't have to worry about gaining any weight while there.
I ate one of the cookies that Mary Lee brought me each time I took a pain pill. They were perfect. Most trays went back barely touched.












For now I am just laying low, & keeping the leg high on pillows. "To the Moon, Alice", is my Dr's favorite saying. I get up regularly to do the things one has to do. I've left the crutches behind today. I find walking without them is just fine. I'm doing a few little exercises that the physical therapist showed me.
Broccoli seemed very happy at first to see me, then he bit my finger & snubbed me for a few hours. We're back on speaking terms now. He just had to remind me who is the boss. I only used 2 Percocet all day today. I prefer Advil.
As soon as I can stay upright without fear of swelling, I'll be back in the studio working. I'm looking forward to it. Setting at the computer is even a little difficult. It's taken me 2 separate sessions just to do this post!
Thank you all for your kind words & well wishes. I believe in the power of prayers, & I know it helped having you all pulling for me. Next time I post I'll be more interesting! THANKS AGAIN! xoxoxox

10 comments:

mindy said...

Wow...that hospital food looks like....never mind...I won't say what it looks like....but its disgusting.
Glad you're doing so well....just don't be a hero and don't overdo it.
(We should have stayed at your house today...we hiked up towards Willawaw and on the way down Remy tried to fight another dog pulling John off his feet and hurting his shoulder....luckily we're hanging with the ortho. tomorrow.)

Anonymous said...

I can see why those trays went back untouched. So glad to hear that you're doing well and are on the mend.

My Little Family: said...

When I had surgery i started to improve quickly once I switched to Ibuprophen (spell?) from perscription drugs too. They others always come at a price I guess. What is that horrible looking food on that plate? I won't say what it looks like. The chicken soup and other homemade goodies look much better. You are truly blessed with friends and family.
Vickie

Dale Anne Potter said...

I'm so glad to hear you are back home and feeling better alittle everyday.
Enjoy your resting time!!!

Barbara C said...

It's good to see you're improving and that you're being well taken care of by your loved ones.

allie aller said...

Welcome home, Deb.
What a wonderful support system you have....great and loving folks!

quiltmom anna said...

H Deb,
Its nice to know that you are on the road to recovery-my mother had knee replacement surgery in April. The hardest part for her has been not over doing it - Do take care to pace yourself. It is nice to see you are being well taken care of by your friends and family.
Regards,
Anna

Micki said...

Glad to have you home again and that you are on the road to recovery. Take care and don't try to do too much.

roxanestoner said...

Welcome home! I am so glad that you are doing so well. Take good care. Take your time to heal and don't do too much. Thinking about you.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you home and back in Broccoli's grace. Cats! Can't live with'em, can't live with'em.

Take 'er easy now. I saw an article on TV last night about this lil ol lady who got two new knees and ran the marathon. Not in the same week though.