Friday, March 31, 2006

January Journal Quilt (Better late than never?)




Since I came a little late to the Journal quilts, & my intention for these little pieces is to use then on a perpetual calendar eventually, I wanted to get a January page done. I've been wanting to do a little tribute to our nights in the hot tub in the backyard for a long time, & still want to include it on a big quilt some day, along with a poem that I wrote a few years ago, but this is a much simpler, more cartoony version of what that will some day be. I also had a new toy I wanted to try out, Xpandaprint. I have black, (it also comes in white). I painted it on with a toothpick, then used my heat gun on it, & had fun watching it swell & become textured. I dabbed a little Lumiere paint on top of the Xpandaprint for color. I also played with my Angelina Fibers again, along with the Bo-Nash to fuse them in place, for an Aurora effect on my hand-dyed fabric back ground. The only commercial fabrics are the hot tub, & people in it, & I bordered it with an bit of my vintage silk, that came from my Ebay pal Pilgrimhands.This really was a lot of fun! I'm naming it "Fire & Ice".

9 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

Cute idea! I need to get my hubby in the hot tub more!

Welcome to the Journal Quilts Challenge!

jenclair said...

Oh, wonderful! Love the idea of the Northern Lights from a hot tub.

Rian said...

Very cute, and a lovely rendition of the Aurora. I have been thinking of ways to re-create them in fabric. When we were in Alaska we sat in the hot tub waiting for the northern lights but they came after we got out. But it's definitely THEE way to watch 'em!

allie aller said...

Love your use of angelina...what a wonderful scene you have up there!

Dale Anne Potter said...

What a GREAT looking journal quilt!
LOVE the northern lights and LOVE how you did the people's heads!!!
FABULOUS JOB!!!

Granny Fran said...

Your northern lights actually glow and seem to pulse. A beautiful and fun quilt for January. I always wondered why people wanted to live in Alaska (my idea of comfort is warm rather than cold). I guess a hot tub is the answer with that view.

Michelle said...

What a beautiful journal quilt!!

Anonymous said...

That's so awesome! I love it.
Linda

Micki said...

What a really coool quilt. I love your northern lights effect.