Thursday, December 08, 2011

Getting ready for the holidays

This has been an odd winter here in Alaska. The deep freeze came early. We got some good snowfall, for which I was grateful. I snapped this picture of a "snow snake" in my tree Saturday morning.  By that afternoon it had warmed up, a Chinook blew in, & the snake was gone. That night we had 118 mile-per hour wind gusts. It sounded like a freight train coming through the yard.  I spent half of the night camping on the floor of my studio because of the noise. Warren was working, so it was just me & Broc, & I couldn't sleep listening to the wind blow in the bedroom. Several people had damage to their homes. We had leaks in odd places. Water was being blown sideways, & it leaked where we never had leaks before. Now we have new leaky spots to add to the to-do list.

I made a turkey last week, & made a pot of soup from left-overs. It was yum-perfect.

In the studio, I have been working on Christmas, as well as 2 customer quilts. Shirley's is done, I just have to lint roller it, photograph, bundle it, & calculate the bill, & I can deliver it. Tracy's bear just needs border quilting, so I think I'll get it finished this weekend. Broc plopped himself down on top of the little ornaments I was trying to get finished for giving to the Calendar Girls, & for package decorations. I simply fussy-cut these from a print, layered them with bits of stiff batt (Timtex -like stuff), & sewed around the edges, with a string layered in the top edge. They can be hung as an ornament or pinned on & worn.

Now I'm heading out to the Calendar Girls, with my "White Elephant" gifts, ready for our exchange. It's always fun to see who gets stuck with the most junk! At least whoever gets mine will have a nice hunk of fabric.



4 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

Wow-quite the storm-winds like that are not typical are they? I love how Broc lays right in the middle of where you want to be-cats! Very pretty gifts-

Dean and Katie said...

you continue to amaze me! i love & miss you!!

Judy said...

Wow, that quite a wind storm! I can see why you had a hard time sleeping. You finished some nice gifts!

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Deb.
Merry Christmas to you and your DH. WOW I heard about those winds. I am glad you and your companion survived the night together. Your gifts look lovely. The snow snake was neat looking. Would you please share you turkey soup recipe with me. It looked sooooooooooooooooooooo very good. Thanks Hugs Judy