Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Sentinel ~ my final Fiberactions Challenge


That first line was from Broccoli. He has missed me, because I was working the past 2 days, & haven't been home much.
Below is the piece I made for the last Fiberactions Challenge.  The word was 'Structure', & I chose to build a 'Cairn'. It's a rock structure that hikers build to mark paths, or spots to alert other hikers. This one is placed by a river to mark a safe crossing.  
The first photo  shows the quilt how it looked when I first finished. As I had it hanging on the wall, I realized there was a hole in my stack of 'rocks' , & it bothered me. I made the rocks from the Shibori pole wrap process that my friend Sandy Winfree taught me this past summer.                                                       

After contemplating how I might fix that hole, I found a real rock that looked very much like the ones I made from silk. I threaded some long pieces of thread through a button, then glued the rock to the top of the button, & stitched the threads through the quilt (a process I learned from Allie Aller).
The raven standing guard by the Cairn is the one I made entirely from thread, free-motion on wash-away stabilizer.
The leaves are all from fabric that I straw dyed this past summer, appli-quilted in place over the couched yarns for branches. The challenges have been a lot of fun, but I've decided to challenge myself this next year. Changes are in the wind for us. Warren will retire. I will have to go back to full time. I am thinking about what I'm going to do next......we'll see.
In the meantime, I'll warm myself by the fire.


Marsel said...

This is amazing!!!

Hope the transitions that are in store for you all go smoothly.

Michelle Auer said...

It took me a minute to find the real rock. Very Where's Waldo! ;-)
This is really cool!

Delighted Hands said...

It took me a long time to find the real rock but I did finally! Very clever fix~

Well, back to work full time will make some changes around your quilting but you can do what you have to for now, right?

Ali Honey said...

I like that very much. Congratulations it's a beautiful piece of work.

I also like the shapes and colours you are gazing at in your fire....more greens than we get.

Vicki W said...

It's fabulous! I love all of the great texture and, of course, I adore the raven.

Françoise said...

I also had to look a little to find the real rock. The silk ones look very realistic. The colours and textures of this piece are so rich. Beautiful!

CJ Stitching and Blooms said...

Wow, Deb. a very fantastic creative fiberactions creation. Love it. The rock was perfect. I look forward to seeing pics of it finished.. Isn't great to set beside a new warm fire burning in the Winter. Hugs Judy

Judy said...

What a unique quilt! It sounds like each section was challenging in its own way. You did a wonderful job dyeing the leaves. I hope that your transition goes smoothly.

Kathy -MIQuilter said...

Your quilt so inspiring, how you pulled all those pieces together, along with a real rock, I love it.
As I always say "no body does it better".
It seems if your alive, life doesn't stay the same, hope yours works out well.

Steph said...

It took me a while as well to find the real rock, I agree very clever fix.

I love the pic of the fire, wish I could do that here.

Melodie said...

I toggled betweem the 1st & 2nd photo and the rock appears then disappears, appears, then disappears......(doesn't take much to entertain me!)