Tuesday, January 19, 2010
Sketches & Quilting
I woke up early this morning & started sketching for the on line class I’m doing. I did 10 pages, before my hand cramped up & decided I should move on to other tasks I needed to do. The feather sketch below is similar to the feathers I quilted on the “Chicken Delight” quilt that won an Honorable Mention at APNQ IN 2004.
I’m thinking about doing this leaf design on the quilt that I just loaded on to Lily.
Below I test quilted it on black velvet using 12 wgt. Aurafill cotton thread.
This little seascape is another design I did on the same fabric with the same thread.
I made a background quilt to hold my threadplay samples, for the Basic samples.
The Advanced Threadplay I mounted on black card stock.
I agonized over the quilt that I’m going to be quilting on Lily. It has a back as beautiful as the front, & the quilting is going to be more visible on the back. I thought long & hard about possibly putting the back on top to do the quilting, but ultimately decided against doing it that way because of so many bias edges on the top.
I stitched Wash-away stabilizer to all of the top’s edges, then cut all but a 1 inch strip along the edge, to help stabilize & keep it square. I also used wash-away thread, so it will all go away with just a little water, when I’m done quilting.
Below are the front,
and back of the quilt.