Sunday, January 06, 2008

Happy New Year 2008

You may think it odd that I should start out my New Year blog with a picture of butter on a plate, but this represents what weight I LOST over the Holiday season this year. 0.6 of a pound! I know it doesn't sound like much, but for me it's a BIG DEAL, because I normally would gain something like 6 to 10 pounds over the month of December. I feel pretty good about that .6 loss! for a total of 22.6 since October. I'm doing Weight Watchers.
On Christmas Eve day, our good friend John came over & helped Warren set up the lower half of the new kitchen cabinet. It still isn't finished, the upper 1/2 is setting in pieces in the guest room, & we're waiting for the counter top (it was twice as long as it should be) & a door (they sent 2 lefts, no rights) to come in.
My youngest son Corey & his girl Tasha came over for dinner on Christmas eve. We enjoyed the evening.
This is an album I made for my DH to put the special cards I make for him in. It was something he asked for a long time ago, & I finally got it done.
Below is a gift from my dear friend Mindy. It's fused glass, slumped in a curve shape to fit over a roll of toilet paper. It's to go in my upstairs bathroom that has several Barbara Lavalle prints,
including this one that Mindy used for inspiration.
My friend Kathy J sent this great little box of wool fabrics & yarns that she has hand-dyed from nature. She also included a beautiful but frightening spider pin that was made by the Indian woman she took a weaving class from this past fall.
Broccoli was REALLY interested in the wools.
Here's a picture of a poem I wrote several years ago about my Arachnophobia. It hangs in my studio on a little quiltlette that I free motion embroidered it on. Kathy's spider fits it well!
Below is a block I made last week for a group quilt we're working on for a friend who recently lost her husband.
This is probably my most used gift this year. My DH bought me 3 pairs of shoes, 2 of which I had him send back because they didn't fit right, but this pair I love. I've worn them constantly every moment that I'm up at home since I opened the box. They are loose & comfortable. I'm using them for my slippers, & since we still have some unfinished floors in our house, I wear slippers all the time now. & no sister, the shoes are on the correct feet, I just had my ankles crossed!
Thursday I went to quilt Guild. This gal showed a quilt her mom had sent her for Christmas. It's an Advent calendar. Each 1/2 square is a pocket
that holds a little ornament. I thought it was very clever.
Mary Lee showed her hand knitted felted hat that she bought, with the Dragonfly pin that I made for her pinned on it. Looks like it was made for it!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the update! (Bee, your shoes are on the wrong feet.)

allie aller said...

Congrats on all the weight loss!
That butter sure makes it graphic...

It's great to see you posting again, Deb. Have missed you.

...and the spider pin is to DIE for. (I love spiders, and have ever since I started crazy quilting.)

Barbara C said...

Congratulations on your holiday weight loss. Like Allie, I love the spider pin.

Granny Fran said...

Good for you, losing weight during the holidays!
Your dragonfly pin makes that hat.
I am in love with the turquoise spider pin and am sending your poem to my daughter who is scared of spiders.

Barbara said...

hey.. Today I bought many weigh watcher products and I hope I can also weigh loss. ...
Happy creative New Year ! Barbara

Kathy -MIQuilter said...

I love the quilt block you made, great colors and design. Also, a very clever idea the note book for Warren's cards, it turned out wonderful. I think Brocolli wants to lick the box of wool, just like he did my earmuffs!

Debra Dixon said...

Nice to see you again after the busy holidays and long work hours. You probably need some comfy shoes!

Jeri said...

Hi Deb! Its great to see your post full of so many goodies! Love the shoes, the quilt block, the fused glass, your cabinets, the album! And congrats on the weight loss!

Rian said...

Congrats on your weight loss! Wow, you rock! And 22 pounds is nothing to sneeze at. Waytago.

I love the hat, but especially the dragonfly pin! And the spider!

Anonymous said...

You're right about that spider from Kathy! It is realistic!!
Mindy did an amazing job on the glass! I'm impressed!
Where did Warren get those shoes? They are fabulous! Love the stitching!
We got home yesterday after a week at the condo. Loni had another ultrasound yesterday and we got 4-D photos of the baby......she looks allot like Kadee!

Dianne said...

Happy New Year!! Love the hat, and the dragonfy pin is perfect!!