Today I awoke with a feeling of well being. The best I've felt in over 2 weeks. I had my usual coffee, & breakfast, then took my meds for the pneumonia. My face has a funny red butterfly mark spreading across my nose & cheeks, but I am breathing better, so I'll live with the weird side effects.
I headed into the studio with much optimism. Started up Lily, & was wiping her down like I always do, before quilting. Removing any excess oil that may have dripped from yesterday's oiling when I put her to bed. I took the rag, & wiped around the bobbin area, the started her running to catch any drips that fly out. Unfortunately I was a little too close with the rag, & caught it in the bobbin, blowing the fuse & jamming up the rag in the hook mechanism. It wasn't pretty.
Fortunately I had an extra fuse, so I switched that, & got her turned back on. Then I managed to dislodge the rag & remove the jammed needle. Then I had to work on re-timing my machine. I called Megan & got a little advice before I went too deep, & after about 2 hours of re-reading the instruction book, & watching the same section of the DVD over & over, & taking things apart & putting them back together, I finally have a decent stitch again.
Now here's my question. I've been using this machine for almost a year & 1/2 now, & one thing I noticed, is bearding. It happens a lot. Way more than I ever had on my short arm Bernina. I have discovered that certain batting beards worse than others. I also noticed that the backing fabrics seem to make a difference. The last quilt I quilted had a Cotton Sateen on the back, & it bearded even with the Hobbs Thermore for the batting, which is one of the better ones I've used. Now what else can I do. I am using Titanium needles (recommended by A-1).
On my present quilt, I am using Hobbs Wool batting, & it isn't bearding at all, but the stray strings from the edges of the patches on the front at pushing through the back, as illustrated in the photos below.