Thursday, September 25, 2008

Dori's Sunflower Quilt

This is my latest customer's quilt. Dori had been upset when she finished the top, to see that the center bellyed out a little when she laid it out flat on the floor. She didn't want to take the borders off & start over, so I told her I thought I could solve the problem with Trapunto under the whole flower. It worked well. I layered Hobbs wool batting under it first & quilted it with wash-away thread (Signature, Vanish, I love it! it worked well on Lily). I then trimmed all of the background areas of batting away, leaving just the flower , stem & leaves with the wool. Next I put it back on Lily with the backing & regular Cotton batting, & did the all-over quilting.
For the borders I took a cue from the green & gold print on the right, & mimicked it's design all the way around.
I did circles in the flower centers, & the veins on the leaves, quilting through the double layers of batting.
I did swirly sunny designs for the background quilting. It was a fun quilt & I loved the colors. Now I'm off to deliver it.

11 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

Outstanding work! beautiful solution!

Françoise said...

Great job!

Gaia Quilter said...

Your quilting ideas on the quilt are beautiful. Loved how it turned out. Thanks for the new side bar on my blog, I love her work and that of her friends.

Vicki W said...

Deb, you did a lovely job!

Micki said...

I love Dori's quilt. You did a fantastic job of quilting it.

MYRA said...

What an adorable Sunflower Quilt! Very nice! You can tell Dori I like it! 8-)
You did an awesome job of quilting it! Great work! Good for you! 8-)
Happy stitchings!

Shasta said...

What a gorgeous quilt! And your quilting set everything quite nicely.

Barbara C said...

Good for you for saving the day. It's a beautiful quilt and your quilting design really enhances it.

Frederique said...

Oh nice! I love the mushroom, and the animals also. In fact I love your blog, so I added a link to it.
Hi from Tahiti

Frederique said...

oh boy, I made a mistake... if you can just delete my previous comment!
I love this sunflower, very beautiful quilting also... and I still love your blog!!

Debra said...

Your quilting has gotten very good very fast! Nice job!