Saturday, August 01, 2009

Quilt Deck Views & Today's Quilting

Here are some views of our deck as it is today.


The salmon used to hang on a fence downtown. The got rusty & were replaced. Our friend was given several of them, & he gave them to us. We took them & had the rust sand-blasted off of them, them they were powder coated in a copper. These photos don't do them justice. They sparkle & shine in the sun.

Now for today's quilting. This is a customer quilt by Kathy Murray. I had a time quilting it. In the first 10 minutes of quilting, I knocked my timing out of balance & had 2 days of frustration before I got it working again. Thanks to Sheila Crum, another A-1 long-armer here in AK. I called her & she helped me over the phone. I could've gotten the same help from Megan, but I wanted to talk to someone withing driving distance in case I needed hands on help.
I ended up stitching around some of the big lumps where too many seams converged. I had to get creative.
I used Madeira metallics on the center gold circle, & the red areas.
I made this bunny for Carys while we were driving to Denali. Yesterday I needle felted the eyes, nose & heart on her. Now I need to make her a dress.
I think she looks like she might be related to Elmo.
I did a little needle felting while in Homer too.
Both of these were inspired by our trip there.
Tonight my friend Judy Evans came over. She had made this little quilt top a long time ago & wanted some help getting it finished. I told I owed her a favor for taking my call one Saturday when I was sick. She used my Bernina to do the blanket stitch on all of the applique' pieces,
then I quilted it for her.

She still has some beads to put on it & needs to finish the binding, but now she's all set for Christmas!

15 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

Your deck is perfect (love the log cabin floor pattern!) Quilts are great , too. The bunny has the cutest expresssion on her face!

Vicki W said...

Your deck is very inviting! Love you quilting and needle felting too.

Elaine Adair said...

You always put so many lovely subjects on your blog, but I will comment only on your darling bunny -- mmmm, maybe a dab of Revlon blush on her cheeks? 8-)))

sophie said...

There's so much compelling eye candy on this blog post, it's hard to know what to comment upon first. Love the deck and the coppery salmon. Love your creative problem solving on Kathy's beautiful quilt. Really love the bunny and the addition of the needlefelted heart–that's so sweet. Judy's Christmas quilt is great, too. What a good friend you are to help her get it done, done, almost, but for a few beads and a binding, done. Oh year, I love the trip-inspired post cards, too ;-)

Heather said...

Love the deck idea! It looks like a wonderfully cozy space.

allie aller said...

How great to see your deck in the summer sunshine.

Love that little rabbit...!

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Deb. WOW!!! I love your deck in all those stunning colors. Love it. Your DH is a real sweetie. The Salmon art is also very great. Another symbol of Alaska. Thanks for sharing all the wonderful photos of Alaska with us. Your quilt is awesome and I the needle felted otter is super. Hugs Judy

Kathy -MIQuilter said...

Your deck turned beautifully, the salmon were the perfect finishing touch. The bunny is so cute, I love the wool fabric. Your needle felting from Homer is great, that was a clever take along project.

Kay said...

The deck is beautiful, and I love the bunny! So sweet.

Stephanie said...

Mom's Santa clause turned out supper cute, she finished it up before she left on her trip so she could give it to her sister.

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

Love your deck!
Also am impressed with your quilting on the quilt.

Deb Geyer said...

What an awesome quilt top! And what a challenge for the quilter! It looks like you took it in stride though. Your quilting designs are creative and solve the issues of bulk, etc. I'll bet the customer was thrilled. Good job Deb!

Helen said...

Hi Debs,
Your deck is amazing. I've never seen anything quite like it and I love that it's a quilt design. It really does look cosy.
wondering if your bunny is made out of our Harris Tweed?
hugs
Helen S

Anonymous said...

Love your deck!

Waving to you from another quilter north of Willow Alaska!

mary
hoganfe handmade
handbag originals

Rian said...

I loved this deck before, but with the salmon, it's outta site!